Monday, September 29, 2008
Michela T 4c
I think that it is pretty amazing that I have lived in Montana my whole life, and I did not know that Montana is home to 12 different tribes. I knew that Native American children were sent away to boarding schools, but I had no idea that so many children were sent away. I feel that it is very important for students to learn about Native Americans and their culture and their history. As a future high school History and Government teacher I will have many opportunities to teach my students about Native Americans. One activity would be to have students map out the territory of the 12 different tribes before the reservation system, and then to map out the territory of tribes after the reservation system. Then as a class we would discuss how drastic the change was, and how it impacted the lives and culture of those tribes. Another assignment would be to research how boarding schools also impacted the culture and life of the Native American children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am in the same boat as Michela and I think it is remarkable that I have lived in Montana for all of my life and did not know there were a total of 12 different tribes located in the state. But because of IEFA I now know that valuable piece of information.
Mike Rider....that is my comment above!
Post a Comment