I found Monday’s class to be very interesting. The presentations were a good way to gain a general understanding of the number of topics you could explore with your students regarding Indian Education for All. I found it very interesting that if any article of clothing is dropped during the dancer’s performance at a Pow Wow they will be disqualified. I also learned that generally speaking, Native Americans learn best through hands on experience and when there is a positive relationship between their academic learning and their culture.
I think that one important activity in the classroom would be to read two history books written from different perspectives and talk to your students about why there are different perspectives in history (example: Native American Perspective vs. European Perspective). Another good activity would be to have your class research the boarding school in Montana. Then they could compare and contrast our public schools today vs. the boarding schools Native Americans were forced to attend.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I really like the idea of having the students read 2 books from different perspectives. I think it is important for students to learn that everything is bias in someway. Great activity!
Katie Oliver
Hey Aaron,
I agree with your activity ideas. As a teacher, it is imperative to have a firsthand understanding of the diverse Native American viewpoints on history and their viewpoint on education. It is also important for our students to gain a deeper understanding of the diverse array of Native Americans in our society. These are our neighbors and without education, there can be no understanding. Boarding schools, broken treaties as well as modern day perspectives are a key component to helping our students understand the wealth of culture we Americans tend to take for granted.
-Sarah H-B
Post a Comment