Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Lyndi S. Assign #4c
I learned many new facts about Native American culture, but there were two that stood out in my mind. I found it interesting that sign language was commonly used within the tribes and that it was used mostly for trading purposes. Also, I learned that in Montana there are twelve Native American tribes and seven reservations. A good activity to use with my students would be to incorporate sign language into the curriculum and then expand on this subject by talking about the culture of Native American sign language. This would be particularly beneficial for an elementary classroom. For upper level classes, such as a high school or junior high social studies class, a fun activity would be to break students up into groups and have each group research a specific Native American tribe. They could all present their research to the class and do comparisons on all the different tribe rituals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think incorporating sign language into the curriculum would be very beneficial! Great ideas!
~Katie Thompson
Post a Comment