In Monday's class we talked about how the Indians were put into boarding schools against their will. This was to "kill the Indian, save the man." It is interesting to see the effects that the school had on the people's attitudes about school in general. I think the activity of drawing a picture in a paint program on a computer about how that would have felt to be an Indian. This would help the kids think about what that would feel like and also give them a chance to practice the computer a little more.
I also found it interesting how they were able to communicate through sign language and symbols. It is neat how they were able to communicate trade through symbols. A fun activity would be for the kids to make their own symbols and try to trade things in the classroom using only those symbols.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
they way that they communicated was very interesting.
- grant
I also think that having the kids use a paint program to draw how they would react if taken from their families would be extremely beneficial.... it would really make the kids dig deep to try and relate to eachother
Chelsea Lehner
I really liked your idea about having the students come up with their own symbols and trying to communicate with each other. I think the students would learn a lot about communication through this and it would help to develop this skill which is extremely important to have.
Amber Y.
In Monday's class we learned about the Indian Education For All Act. Each group was given a different topic which they would teach the rest of the class about. Katie and I taught about the Boarding School Era. One thing that I remembered from this topic was that the whites told the Indians that they lost their land because they were uneducated so they should send their children to the boarding schools. Some things I learned from the other groups were that most tribes used sign language, facial expressions, pictures etc. to communicate with other tribes. The thing I found most interesting was that Native American students learn better doing hands on things.
Kate Gearhart
i also think that the forms of communication were very interesting. I thought the video clip showing the different tick marks for counting was kinda cool
Post a Comment