Monday, September 22, 2008
#4c JCook
#4c Write two specific things you learned about Indian Education for All and at least two ideas/activities that you might use with your students- consider specific content areas and the inclusion of Indian Education for All. Your comments can be about teaching strategies to include all students or about teaching culture, facts, etc. about Montana Indians. After posting, read the ideas of others in your class and provide comments- remember to given your name so you receive credit for posting/commenting. J Cook
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Stephanie Sharbono
I learned about all of the seven different reservations in Montana. Also, I learned a lot of information for each reservation including the tribes that live on each reservation, size, population, location, and economic activities. I also learned about how they communicate through pictures, sign language, and smoke signals. If I was teaching a health enhancement class I would find some games that have cultural meaning, and have them play these games as a warm up in class. If I was teaching an art class I would have the kids draw something that would tell a story by using some common symbols from the tribe.
These are very good ideas on how to incorporate culture at all times, even if it may not be in the core academic classes. I see this especially critical within the elementary schools, where art and physical education are usually specialty classes not taught by the grade teacher. I think that integrating culture may often be forgotten in these types of classes that are not with all student each day of the week.
Lyndi Seidensticker
Post a Comment