Before class today, I didn't know much about Native Americans. Now I do feel like I have a general understanding of some of the tribes in our area. I found out that 12 tribes make up 7 reservations in Montana. I also learned that the non-verbal communication that tribes had with each other was a big part of their lives. Although it has lost popularity in the Native American world, tribal members are trying to incorporate it into their culture once again.
In a family and consumer science class, culture can be included in the curriculum in almost every aspect. One idea would be making food traditional to the tribe that is being studied. Another idea could be creating a costume for a Pow Wow, using traditional materials and methods.
Jamie Diehl
2 comments:
I really liked your ideas for classroom activities. They are fun for the students and they will also demonstrate Native American Culture.
Heidi Hedstrom
Great ideas about incorporating traditional Native American food in the classroom! Everyone loves to try new food!
Post a Comment