Sunday, September 28, 2008

IEFA-Michele Concienne

In class on Monday, I learned several new things about Native Americans that I had not known before. Not being from Montana, I had no idea that there were so many reservations in Montana. It was interesting to learn about the different ones; where they are, how big they are, the different economic activites, and especially the interesting facts. In working on Learning Center #7, about teaching strategies, I learned that Native American students are hands-on learners and require an even balance between a strong academic environment and a culturally supportive classroom.

As an elementary education teacher, I hope to teach the 3rd or 4th grade. Classrooms are quickly becoming very diverse, so I plan on incorporating culture into every aspect of my classroom. I want to educate my students on Native American history and culture. One fun activity could be teaching them about different kinds of powwow dances and celebrations. I can do this in several ways, from showing them video clips of powwows, to having a Native American come in and talk to them about the history of powwows and teaching them part of a dance or celebration, or even take the class to see part of a powwow. Another good activity might be to have them look at the different symbols that Native Americans used in the past, and use them to make their own stories. It is important for the students to understand the cultural differences of their peers, and doing it in a hands-on way is the best way for them to learn.

Michele Concienne

1 comment:

EDCI Student said...

Michela---I think that your act. are really good.