Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Kate G. Assignment #4c Blogging

In Monday's class we learned about the Indian Education For All Act. Each group was given a different topic which they would teach the rest of the class about. Katie and I taught about the Boarding School Era. One thing that I remembered from this topic was that the whites told the Indians that they lost their land because they were uneducated so they should send their children to the boarding schools. Some things I learned from the other groups were that most tribes used sign language, facial expressions, pictures etc. to communicate with other tribes. The thing I found most interesting was that Native American students learn better doing hands on things. Some activities I would like to do with my class would be to have them all write a short story and draw a picture about a time when they were away from home and might have felt the same way the Indian children felt when they were taken to boarding schools. The second activity I would like to do would be to have a prominent native from one of the local reservations come in and talk to my class about what their culture is and anything they can share to help the children understand better.

1 comment:

EDCI Student said...

I liked that you pointed out the different learning styles Native Americans use. This is useful information for us teachers!
I also like the activity suggestion of having someone from a local tribe come talk to the classroom-that would be really cool!